Monday, April 28, 2014

Week 8: My computer is sick!

I can't believe this is the last week of class, and my last blog for the class.  I haven't decided if I am going to continue this blog with another topic, or stop it altogether.  This class has made me explore technology, and I have learned many many things.  The technology explorations alone have given me so many things to use for my future classroom.  There is one more thing to talk about before this class comes to a close: computer viruses! 

Apparently, there isn't just one kind of computer virus; there are also things called worms, and Trojan horses.  Who knew?!  They are all different and affect your computer in different ways.  

A computer virus will attach itself to a file or program which allows it spread from one computer to another.  A virus is spread by human action.  People unknowingly spread the virus by sharing viruses or opening emails with viruses as attachments.  

A worm, a sub-class of a virus, is very similar to a virus.  A worm still spreads from computer to computer, but does not require human action to spread.  It travels unaided by taking advantage of a file or transport feature on your system.  

The Trojan horse masks itself as a useful program for your computer, but once installed does some damage.  People get tricked because the programs do appear useful, but once run on the computer, they cause problems.  The results can vary.  

To protect your computer it is important to have up to date software.  Also, it is important to have up to date anti-virus software downloaded on the computer.  Make sure the software has the ability to scan emails and files as they are downloaded from the internet.  

Lastly, it is important to make sure your students know about viruses, worms, and Trojan horses.  If they will be working a lot on computers through out the year, it is important they know how to download, or open attachments safely.  

At schools, it may also be beneficial to talk with the IT person to see what anti-virus programs they have in place.  As I said, I don't know much about computers, and honestly, I really don't know what kind of software we use at my school.  My personal computer is a MacBook.  When I bought it I was told Apple products don't need anti-virus software because it was included in the IOS software. 

I know I have learned a lot in this class, but I have also realized there is so much more to learn.  Since I am going to teach students the importance of using technology appropriately, I am so glad I had the opportunity to take this class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment